The Association for International Arbitration, the CIS Arbitration Forum and a number of co-sponsors are hosting an arbitration conference in Brussels on 21 June 2012. Speakers from various CIS jurisdictions will discuss a range of issues related to arbitration in the region.
The topics include the policy of CIS countries towards arbitration, bribery, Russia-related arbitration and investment disputes at the SCC involving parties from CIS countries. The participants will particularly focus on Russia, Kazakhstan and Ukraine.
Although the programme has not been finalised yet, the provisional programme of the event is available below.
Arbitration in Commonwealth of Independent States Countries: Current Issues
Thursday 21 June 2012
9.00 – 11.00 General Policy of CIS Countries Towards Arbitration
- Recommendations to non-CIS parties when choosing arbitration in CIS countries
- General policy of Russia towards arbitration
- General policy of Ukraine towards arbitration
- Arbitration in Kazakhstan as an alternative means of dispute resolution: contemporary status end perspectives of development
Speakers: Vladimir Khvaley, Roman Zykov, Andrey Astapov, Valery A. Zhakenov
11.00 – 11.30 coffee break
11.30 – 13.00 Specific Issues in Arbitration in CIS Countries (part 1)
- Arbitrability of corporate and real estate disputes under Russian law
- Bribery and Russia-related Arbitration
Speakers: Dmitry Davydenko, Yaraslau Kryvoi
13.00 – 14.00 lunch
14.00 – 15.30 Specific Issues in Arbitration in CIS Countries (part 2)
- Interim measures at the stage of recognition and enforcement of international arbitral awards on the territory of Ukraine: practical concerns
- Enforcement of the arbitral award annulled in the country where it was rendered (experience of Russia)
Speakers: Iegor Sierov, Dilyara Nigmatullina
15.30 – 16.00 coffee break
16.00 – 18.00 Sector-Specific Arbitration
- Arbitration in the Energy Sector
- Investment Disputes at the SCC involving parties from CIS countries
- WTO dispute settlement system and the CIS experience
Speakers: Timur Aitkulov, Natalia Petrik, María J. Pereyra
18.00 – 19.00 Reception
More information about the conference is available on the conference web site.